Sweet Eats Series – Plum Pudding
To celebrate National Plum Pudding day, here’s another fun idea from our Sweet Eats series. We, at Sweet Retreat Kids, love to encourage family time. Here’s a great recipe that will be easy for the kids to help with. Enjoy and be sure to send us pictures of your creations! This Sweet Eats comes from The Prepared Pantry, who is committed to providing over 100 of the finest baking mixes available.
Plum Pudding Recipe
2 cups dried plums (prunes), 1/4 to 1/2-inch diced
1/2 cup very hot water
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg or allspice
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons milk or as needed for the right consistency batter
Caramel Plum Sauce
1/2 cup butter
1 3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 cup evaporated milk
1 teaspoon rum or vanilla flavor
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare an 8 x 8-inch pan by greasing and dusting with flour or lining with parchment paper.
1. Place the diced plums in a small bowl. Heat the water to boiling in the microwave. Pour the water over the plums and set aside to rehydrate.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg together in another bowl. Set aside.
3. Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the eggs and beat until light and fluffy.
4. Add the plums and water and the nuts and combine. Add the dry ingredients and combine. Add enough milk—about two tablespoons—to make a soft batter.
5. Remove the batter to the prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the pudding tests done when a toothpick is inserted in the middle. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for five minutes then invert the pudding to remove the pan. Continue cooling on a wire rack.
For the plum sauce:
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in the sugar, cornstarch and milk.
2. Heat until bubbling and thickened. Remove from the heat and add the flavoring.
Serve the plum pudding topped with sauce.
Send us your photos after trying this crazy fun Sweet Eats! We’d love to see them!
#timetogether #sweeteats #sweetretreatkids